Inositol has some amazing health benefits, so it is important to find the best inositol supplement brands and types for your particular health consideration.
Table of Contents
How to Find the Best Inositol Supplement
When looking for the best inositol supplement, there are many things that are taken into consideration.
First, you should try to find a company that has good manufacturing practices (GMP certification). Many supplement companies will list this on their websites, but you have to do some digging. That is why I listed the GMP certifications in this post for your convenience.
Second, the best inositol supplements will be free of any harmful additives or fillers.
Third, you should try to get the most effective dose for you. Some people find lower doses are plenty, while other people find that they require up to 4 grams a day. It is important to start with a lower dose at first to avoid any potential side effects that can happen due to the healing process.
Fourth, some people find that having a ratio of 40:1 of Myo-inositol to Chiro-inositol is important, while other people find either form is quite effective for improving their health. This can take some trial and error. For most people, however, either Myo-inositol alone or Chiro-inositol alone is effective according to thousands of reviewers.
If you do choose to use chiro-inositol, you can use a lower dose, typically around 150-300 mg of chiro-inositol per day.
Last but not least, product reviews are taken into account because the consumer’s experience is very important for determining if a product is effective. This is because some inositol products have thousands of reviews.
What is Inositol?
Inositol is a natural compound called a sugar alcohol which is made of carbohydrates and is often referred to as vitamin B8. It is naturally found in the body and plays a role in maintaining normal cell function and structure in our bodies. Interestingly, it also helps to regulate hormones like insulin and sex hormones.
There are several kinds of inositol and the most common kinds are:
Both of these types of inositol help to improve insulin sensitivity.
Myo-inositol helps with hormone balance and hormone regulation of female hormones compared to chiro-inositol.
On the other hand, chiro-inositol appears beneficial in men by helping increase testosterone according to a pilot study. Myo-inositol is also found in sperm, so both types are probably important.
As an important nutrient for growth and repair, inositol has been studied for its benefits in reducing respiratory distress in preterm infants while more research is needed in this area.
Fascinatingly, inositol has many more benefits as you will soon learn.
Why Do People Need Inositol Supplements?
The tissue content of inositol in our bodies depends mostly on dietary inositol intake, suggesting that it is more of an essential nutrient than once thought.
And common dietary habits and lifestyle changes cause our bodies to need more inositol. The factors that increase our body’s requirements for inositol include caffeine, sugar, refined carbohydrate intake, insulin resistance, diabetes, increasing age, and antibiotic medications.
Best Inositol Supplement Brands At A Glance
Best Inositol Supplement Overall: Bioclinic Naturals Myoinositol Plus
Bioclinic Naturals Myoinositol Plus is a pure inositol powder supplement with natural folate and vitamin B12 added. This is a favorite because it is additive-free and healthy for men and women alike. And because it has natural folate, it has some advantages for women of childbearing age with PCOS too. For this reason, it is the best inositol supplement for PCOS and people in general.
- 40:1 ratio of myo- to d-chiro inositol
- 340 mcg of folate from methyl folate
- 1.5 mcg of vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin
- 2 grams of Myo-inositol per serving
- 50 mg of d-chiro-inositol per serving
- GMP Certified
- 60 servings per container and 129 grams per container
- $0.48 per serving at the time of this post on both Amazon and Fullscript
- Free of artificial colors, preservatives, and allergen-free. Suitable for vegetarians
- The label is confusing because it says the folate is from methyl folate but lists folic acid under nutrition facts. But it doesn’t contain folic acid in the ingredient list.
Best Professional Grade Inositol: Klaire Labs
Klaire Labs Inositol is a highly-rated inositol supplement that is made of D-chiro-inositol. Reviewers love it for enhancing energy, improving sleep, reducing belly fat, and improving blood sugar levels. People report being able to use a lower dose but still achieve a lot of health benefits with this supplement. For all of these reasons, this is the best inositol supplement for insulin resistance.
- Allergen free
- Professional grade brand that is trusted by healthcare professionals
- The serving size is 150 mg of chiro-inositol per capsule
- 60 servings per container
- GMP-certified and third-party certified for purity and safety
- $0.70 per capsule on Amazon and it is slightly cheaper on Fullscript
- More expensive than most brands
Best Inositol Supplement: PCOS
Theralogix Ovasitol is an inositol product that meets all the criteria for the best inositol supplement for fertility. This is because it gets rave reviews for its use for PCOS and restoration of regular menstrual cycles related to PCOS. Many reviewers notice less facial hair and improvements in skin breakouts after using this supplement. For these reasons, it is also one of the best brands of inositol for PCOS.
- 4000 mg of myo-inositol per serving and 100 mg of D-chiro inositol
- 40:1 ratio of myo-to-chiro inositol
- Unflavored powder that can be mixed into any liquid
- NSF-certified for purity and potency and GMP certified
- Allergen-free so it is free of gluten, dairy, soy
- $0.35 per 2-gram serving on Fullscript and $0.46 per serving on Amazon at the time of this post
- Reviewers suggest starting with a small dose or half dose to reduce the chances of side effects\
Best Inositol for Skin: Biotics Research Balanced B8
Biotics Research Balanced B8 is a great inositol supplement that reviewers find superior to other products because of its Myo-inositol & d-chiro inositol 40:1 ratio. Reviewers find that this ratio helps curb both appetite and clear up skin acne and even improve PMS symptoms. This makes it one of the best myo-inositol and d-chiro-inositol supplement brands on the market. I love this product because it discloses its sourcing of inositol which is from carob seed and rice.
- 40:1 MI to DCI ratio
- D-chiro inositol is extracted from carob seed
- Myoinositol derived from rice
- The serving size is 1.5 teaspoons
- Great for women with PCOS or anyone with insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome
- 45 servings per container but contains 90 servings if you use 2.5 grams per day
- $0.50 per serving per day per 2.5 grams through Fullscript and $0.80 per serving through Amazon at the time of this post
- GMP-certified and made in the USA
Best Inositol Supplement for Mood: Cenitol
Cenitol by Metagenics is a great inositol supplement made of myo-inositol, magnesium glycinate, and citric acid. Research shows that inositol supplements are beneficial for numerous mental health conditions. The nice thing about this supplement is that it also gives magnesium which is also calming for the mood. This one stands out as the best inositol supplement for anxiety based on reviews. It is also the best inositol supplement for sleep according to testimonials.
- 4 grams of myoinositol per scoop
- 200 mg magnesium glycinate per scoop
800 mg citric acid per scoop
- Highly rated for anxiety
- GMP certified for purity and potency
- Practitioner-recommended for mood
- A 1-month supply on Fullscript is $33 and $49.50 on Amazon at the time of this post
- No additives or preservatives besides natural cellulose (fiber)
- More expensive than many brands
Best Inositol Supplement Powder: Protocol for Life Balance Myo Inositol
Protocol for Life Balance Myo Inositol is a highly rated inositol powder that is also of great value. At just $0.24 cents per 2-gram serving size, this product is affordable for almost anyone. Many reviewers find that it helps their hormonal problems, including PCOS, with no side effects. Reviewers also rave about how this inositol helps with improving their fertility. Of the high-dose inositol supplements, this one gets the most reviews.
- Contains pure myoinositol as its singular ingredient
- The company complies with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) regulations of the Natural Products Association (NPA), and the federal cGMP regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- 76 servings of 6 grams inositol or 228 servings if you use 2 grams per day
- Non-GMO and vegetarian/vegan like all inositol supplements
- People find this inositol promotes energy and focus as well
- $0.24 per serving on Fullscript and $0.20 on Amazon at the time of this post
- Doesn’t contain D-chiro-inositol but reviewers love its effects anyway
Best Inositol Supplement: Chewable
Standard Process Inositol Chewables is great because you can either swallow the tablet or chew it if you prefer because it is naturally sweetened with honey. For this and other reasons, this product gets the highest reviews of all inositol supplements out there. Keep in mind, though, that you will have to take 6 tablets a day to equal the doses used in clinical trials. Still, reviewers find that lower doses help their symptoms too.
- Standard Process has been a highly reputable brand for decades
- GMP Certified
- Reviewers even find this supplement helps with sleep quality
- A great option for kids because it is chewable
- Contains inositol, honey, and calcium stearate as its only ingredient
- Also available in powder form
- $0.18 per tablet on Fullscript and $0.22 per tablet on Amazon at the time of this post
Lower dose than most if you use the tablet, but also available in powder form.
Best Inositol Supplement Powder for Value: Zazzee Myo-Inositol
Zazzee Myo-Inositol powder is a great product if you are on a tight budget but still want a high-quality inositol supplement. Highly rated and pure, this myo-inositol supplement provides a 6-month supply per container.
- Manufactured in the USA with full NSF and cGMP requirements
- Free of allergens
- Contains pure myo-inositol as its only ingredient
- 2 grams of inositol per scoop
- Only $0.18 per serving on Amazon at the time of this post
- 226 servings per container
- Does not contain D-chiro-inositol but reviewers still find this product very effective
Best Inositol Supplement Capsules for Value: Nutricost Inositol
Nutricost Inositol Capsules are great if you are on a tight budget but still want all the benefits of inositol. To get 2 grams of inositol, you will need to take 4 capsules a day, but this will still only cost around $0.24 per day. Based on reviews this is the best inositol supplement for weight loss.
- Highly rated for one of the myoinositol brands
- 60 servings per bottle
- $0.24 per serving size on Amazon at the time of this post
- GMP certified company
- 500 mg of myoinositol per capsule
- Other ingredients are cellulose (fiber), magnesium stearate, and rice flour
- Many reviewers find this product very calming
- Helps sleep quality without grogginess
- Improves glucose levels for many
- Powders are better for people who don’t like to swallow a lot of pills
Many fresh foods have quite a bit of inositol that you can fit into a healthy meal plan.
Inositol-rich foods are:
- Cantaloupe ¼ melon: 355 mg
- Orange 1: 300 mg
- Grapefruit ½: 199 mg
- Peas, green ½ cup 400 mg
- Beets 1 cup 400 mg
- Onions ½ cup cooked: 240 mg
- Potatoes ½ cup mashed 190 mg
- Liverwerst 1 oz : 100 mg
- Green beans ½ cup 193 mg
- Great northern beans ½ cup 400 mg
Benefits of Inositol for PCOS
Inositol is one of the top supplements for PCOS. When it comes to PCOS, inositol helps many aspects of this condition. It helps to balance female hormones while also reducing insulin resistance which is common with PCOS.
In a review of 26 clinical trials with over 1600 women, inositol worked well to help manage symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) such as hair growth.
As another example, women with PCOS using inositol were 1.8 times more likely to have a normal menstrual cycle than women receiving a placebo. Additionally, the use of inositol was equal in effectiveness to metformin for its effectiveness on blood sugar control in women with PCOS.
Not only that, inositol helped reduce body mass index (BMI), testosterone, and insulin levels in this group of women participants with polycystic ovary issues. Additionally, inositol improves the clinical pregnancy rate and helps normalize menstrual cycles.
Most studies used myo-inositol for women with PCOS. However, two studies used a ratio of 40:1 myo-inositol to chiro-inositol. One study also found that using chiro-inositol was also effective for PCOS symptoms in lean women.
Inositol Benefits for Diabetes
Inositol has the ability to help make people more insulin-sensitive and lowers blood sugar to more normal levels. In fact, a review of 20 clinical trials concluded that inositol significantly reduces fasting blood glucose, improves glucose tolerance, and decreases fasting insulin levels.
This fascinating compound improves the action of insulin in the body.
Gestational diabetes is a risky condition for both baby and mother. Fascinatingly, inositol reduces the chances of getting gestational diabetes while also improving the outcome of pregnancies according to a review of 7 clinical trials. Using 4 grams of inositol per day was helpful for this condition.
Some research shows it works even better than the medication called metformin for people with PCOS.
Inositol Benefits for Men
Because inositol has blood pressure-lowering benefits and also helps reduce fasting insulin and blood sugar levels, it can be a beneficial supplement for men as well as women.
Additionally, the organs of the male reproductive system are rich in myo-inositol which suggests that it is important for men’s reproductive health. And inositol may increase testosterone in men according to a pilot study.
Inositol Benefits for Mood
It may work well for bipolar disorder when combined with omega 3 fatty acids according to one study although larger trials are needed.
Additionally, a review of 7 studies concluded that inositol helps reduce depressive symptoms, especially for premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
Inositol Benefits for Weight Loss
Many people report that inositol helps reduce body weight. Research also indicates that inositol may be beneficial for weight loss. In fact, a review of 15 controlled trials found that inositol helps to reduce body mass index (BMI) with myo-inositol being the most effective form of inositol for weight loss.
People with higher BMI were more likely to lose weight with inositol supplementation as well as people older than 40 years of age. However, myo inositol for weight loss effects is likely small, so should be used as part of a healthy lifestyle.
Inositol for Blood Pressure
Among its many benefits, inositol also helps to lower blood pressure naturally.
In fact, a review of 7 randomized clinical trials found inositol effective for lowering both systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure.
Doses of 4 grams per day were most effective for its blood pressure-lowering effects.
What is the Best Kind of Inositol?
When it comes to health benefits overall, myoinositol is the most researched form and seems to help many aspects of wellness.
Both myo-inositol and chiro-inositol seem effective with lower doses of chiro-inositol being helpful. However, there isn’t enough research to determine which form is ultimately the best.
Some research combines both forms of inositol which seems effective, but only 2 studies have used the 40:1 ratio of these.
What is the Best Inositol Dosage?
For blood pressure, doses of 4 grams a day are used in research. For weight loss benefits, doses between 1-2 grams per day are used. When it comes to PCOS supplement studies, doses between 300-600 mg of chiro-inositol are effective especially when combined with myo-inositol. Doses of myo-inositol for PCOS of 4000 mg of myo-inositol have been used and have been effective.
How Long Can I Take Inositol?
Inositol is found naturally in foods and there are no safety concerns of taking this supplement long term. Still, you should always review your supplement routine with your healthcare provider.
What are Inositol Side Effects?
Occasionally people experience mild side effects such as gas, bloating, or nausea with inositol use.
These side effects are only typically seen at very large doses of greater than 12 grams per day.
Is inositol safe?
There are no known long-term risks of taking inositol, but you should always check with your healthcare provider before starting any new supplement.
Heidi Moretti, MS, RD is The Healthy RD. A registered dietitian for 23 years as well as a book author of the new book Gut Fix and The Whole Body Guide to Gut Health, Heidi has a passion for functional nutrition and natural medicine. She has researched supplements and natural medicine throughout her career. One of her biggest loves is helping people gain function and vitality by tackling the root causes of illness.