In the past few years, grassfed whey protein has increasingly grown in popularity, so it is much easier to find some of the best grassfed whey protein brands. And it’s important to find a good one because whey protein powders can add a lot of value to your diet, especially if you are trying to gain muscle or make up for a diet that is low in protein.
But, how do you choose a high-quality whey protein that is best for you and the planet? This post will break it down for you.
Also, find out about grass-fed whey protein benefits, how to find good brands and those with the least environmental impacts, and the ones that add value to the ecosystem.
Best Grassfed Whey Protein Brands (Organic Too)
See below for each of these products details and how to find them. Many of the brands here are certified organic too.
This post contains affiliate links. Visit the disclosure page for more information.
Grass-Fed Protein Powders At-A-Glance
|Best Overall||Raw Grassfed Whey||Cold-pressed whey protein concentrate-rich in omega-3 fatty acids and CLA||$0.95/oz|
|Best Organic Grassfed Whey||NorCal Organic Whey Protein||American Humane Association Certified, USDA Organic, Kosher, and small farm pasture-raised whey, unflavored||$1.93/oz|
|Best Tasting and Easiest to Mix||Levels Grassfed Whey Protein||Comes in 8 flavor options and the most delicious based on over 10,000 ratings. Easiest mixing whey protein||$0.95/oz|
|Best for Muscle Gains||AGN Roots Grassfed Whey||Contains undenatured grass-fed protein and natural digestive enzymes for easy digestion||$1.39/oz|
|Best for Digestion||Natural Factors Grassfed Whey Protein||Contains undenatured grassfed protein and natural digestive enzymes for easy digestion||$1.29/oz|
|Best Bargain||Naked Whey Grassfed Whey Protein||Only whey protein isolate with ASPCA registration, Unflavored, highest BCAAs, and protein content||$0.95 if you subscribe, $1.13 on Amazon|
|Best Cold-Pressed||Promix Grassfed Whey Protein||The highest protein for grass-fed whey protein concentrates and is naturally cold-pressed to retain all nutrients and antioxidants||$1.07/oz on Amazon pay only $0.93 for unflavored if you subscribe|
|Best for Immunity||Well Wisdom Vital Whey Grassfed Whey Protein||Contains natural immunoglobulins that help immune function. Comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Unflavored||$1.04/oz on Fullscript, $1.98 on Amazon|
|Best Sweetened||Garden of Life Lightly Sweet (no Stevia)||Organic cane sugar-sweetened, Vanilla flavor, contains probiotics||$2.14/oz|
|Best Unflavored||MD Ana Fit||Also comes in Caramel Vanilla, Strawberry Banana, Vanilla, and Milk Chocolate||$0.98/oz|
|Best Kosher Certified||Muscle Feast Grassfed Whey Protein Concentrate||Also comes in Caramel Vanilla, Strawberry Banana, Vanilla, and Milk Chocolate||$0.88/oz|
|Best 100% Grassfed Whey||Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed||Highest protein for grass-fed whey protein isolates and is naturally cold-pressed to retain all nutrients and antioxidants||$1.53/oz|
|Best Professional Grade||Designs for Health Whey Cool Protein Powder||Comes in vanilla, chocolate, and unsweetened, brand is trusted by health professionals, Top Rated by Consumer Lab Reports||$2.90/oz on Fullscript|
|Best Meal Replacement||RSP Nutrition True Fit||Has prebiotic fiber, superfood blend, and probiotics||$1.26/oz|
|Best Chocolate||Natural Force Grass Fed Organic||Sweetened with monk fruit for superior taste||$1.78/oz|
|Best Vanilla||Garden of Life Sport||Certified grass-fed, cold-pressed and excellent flavor||$1.74/oz|
|Best Coffee||Opportuniteas Coffee Whey Protein Powder||Coffee flavor and contains 60 mg of caffeine per serving, whey protein isolate that is cold-pressed||$1.80/oz|
For the fitness gurus out there, it’s important to know that whey protein concentrates are better at helping reduce body fat more than whey protein isolate according to research. But, some research suggests that all types of whey protein reduce body fat in combination with resistance training. So, it seems like the important factor is taking any whey protein if you want to be leaner from your workouts. But the quality of the nutrients in a grass-fed protein powder as a whole is better than conventionally grown protein powder. I highly recommend starting with whey protein concentrates to get the best of both worlds-protein and body-building nutrients.
1. Overall best grassfed whey protein: Raw Grassfed Whey
- Raw Grass Fed Whey Protein is a phenomenal whey protein because it is made from healthy cows on healthy pastures and its taste and quality reflect this.
- 97 calories and 21 grams protein per serving
- 100% Pure Grass Fed whey protein
- Contains natural omega-3 fatty acids
- No artificial sweeteners or additives
- Cows are fed wild grasses and clover on small dairy farms.
- The best value of all the grassfed proteins $0.95 per ounce at time of post
- A huge bag of protein with 90 servings per package
- Contains CLA, a beneficial type of fat that helps with overall health
- Cold-processed whey protein
Raw Grassfed Whey powder stands out as the best whey protein powder because it is 100% pure and unadulterated cold-processed whey protein concentrate; it is one that I recommend all the time. It’s my go-to because I love to have simple unsweetened, unflavored protein powder that I can add to almost any recipe. The cows that make up this protein powder are raised on small sustainable farms in the United States. And unlike almost all protein powders, this one is great for people with soy allergies because it is soy free. While other protein powders are geared mostly toward athletes, this one is for both athletes and anyone wanting to be healthier. Its rich nutrient profile reflects the cows’ nutritious diets as they graze peacefully on pastures. And it is 100% whey and nothing else.
2. Best Organic: NorCal Organic Whey Protein
This USDA organic protein powder concentrate is top-notch because it is American Humane Association Certified
- Rich in the antioxidant called glutathione (150 mg)
- Like most high-quality protein powder, this one is cold-pressed
- 21 grams of protein and 4.9 grams of branch-chain amino acids per ounce
- Retains healthy immunoglobulins for immune health due to its cool temperature processing
- Purity is assured and its lab information is disclosed to the public
- Certified gluten-free with no added colors, flavors, or preservatives
NorCal Organic Classic Whey Protein is a fantastic option in the running for the best-grass-fed whey protein powder for an unflavored variety because it is made with care on family farms located in Northern California. As a boon to you, and the environment, it is 100% organic and 100% grass-fed too. The unflavored variety is also soy-free and is also non-GMO verified which means that the cows were never fed GMO foods. This protein powder comes in chocolate and vanilla; these flavors do have 1% soy lecithin. The only downside I can see is that it is a little pricier than most at $2 an ounce at the time of this post.
3. Best Tasting and Easiest to Mix: Levels Grassfed Whey Protein
Levels Grassfed Whey Protein is a clear runner for the highest quality protein supplement on the market because it is the best-tasting and so easy to mix-but be mindful that all protein powders take a bit of shaking or blending to properly mix.
- 7 delicious flavors, including vanilla, cappuccino, chocolate, chocolate mocha, chocolate peanut, double chocolate, strawberry, unflavored, and vanilla cinnamon.
- This protein powder uses monk fruit extract as a natural sweetener instead of stevia, and many people prefer its flavor for this reason.
- Only $0.95 per ounce if you buy the 5 lb option (at the time of this post)
- Another big perk of this protein is that it doesn’t contain any allergens like soy or gluten.
Levels Grassfed Whey Protein is cold processed and delicious and easily competes with other protein powders with 24 grams of protein per serving and 5 grams of BCAAs. Each 5 lb container has a whopping 71 servings, so if you are wanting to give it a try for the first time, they do have a 1-pound container for newcomers. As a bonus, it is GMP certified for purity. The only downside I can see about this product is that there isn’t any statement that it is 100% grassfed on the label.
4. Best for Muscle Gains: AGN Roots Grassfed Whey
AGN Roots Grassfed Whey Protein is a 100% grass-fed certified organic whey protein isolate- this is guaranteed because it is the only protein powder that is Certified Animal Welfare Approved by A Greener World. And a cow’s welfare depends on the grass that it eats.
- This whey protein isolate benefits are that the protein is more highly concentrated per serving than whey protein concentrate.
- It contains a lot of BCAAs (6.5 grams) per 25 grams of protein.
- Also is an ASPCA Certified Brand List which means the animals have a stress-free natural environment for the cow’s herds
- Sustainable farming that supports a healthy ecosystem
- Tastes great and gets great ratings
- Cold pressed and undenatured
If you want to increase your muscle strength, AGN Roots Grassfed Whey is the “whey” to go. Research shows that whey protein immediately post-exercise helps to increase muscle strength and improves recovery time. Whey protein isolates like these are more effective for muscle strength with smaller amounts of powder because the protein is more concentrated in isolates instead of concentrates. But be aware that this means that this protein powder doesn’t have any healthy fats or CLA. It’s a tradeoff that’s worth it for athletes. My suggestion is to use a whey protein isolate for post-exercise and whey protein concentrates for all other occasions.
5. Best for Digestion: Natural Factors Grassfed Whey Protein
Natural Factors Grassfed Whey Protein stands out above other protein powders because it is easier to digest for people with sensitive digestive tracts and I couldn’t agree more. This one is perfect for anyone who gets gas or bloating with other types of protein powder.
- Contains natural digestive enzymes, including amylase, protease, lipase, bromelain, and papain to help improve absorption and tolerance for sensitive stomachs.
- 19 grams of protein per serving and 4 grams of BCAAs
- 3 grams of glutamic acid
- 2.5 grams of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids.
- Free of soy, gluten, and low lactose too
- This protein powder is one of the few on the market that has third-party lab certification to be free of contaminants and impurities like heavy metals
While all the protein powders on this list get great ratings, Natural Factors Grassfed Whey Protein has the highest ratings by far for tolerability. I definitely agree that this one is the best for people with stomach issues. The other beauty about this protein powder is that it contains only natural flavor, natural sweetener as stevia, grass-fed whey protein, and nothing else. This comes in unflavored, double chocolate, strawberry, and French vanilla flavors. And it’s refreshing that this grass fed whey protein powder isn’t cloyingly sweet like many are lightly stevia-sweetened the way a protein shake should be. The only minor drawback is that it is unclear if it is 100% grass-fed or not, but this is a common confusion among grass-fed protein powders on the market today.
6. Best Bargain: Naked Whey Grassfed Whey Protein
Naked Whey Grassfed Whey Protein is very lightly sweetened with real organic coconut sugar, so it is the perfect choice for people who don’t love the taste of stevia but don’t want a huge blood sugar spike either. Another great feature of this protein powder is that it is sourced from cows locally in California and Idaho, which is a contrast to most that come from New Zealand.
- 100% grass-fed whey protein concentrate
- Impressive 25 grams of protein with 6.5 grams of BCAAs
- Contains a small amount of sugar-3 grams from natural coconut sugar that doesn’t have a high glycemic index like table sugar
- Naturally contains omega-3 fatty acids and CLA like all high-quality grass-fed protein concentrates
If you want the highest protein whey protein concentrate, Naked Whey Grassfed Whey Protein fits the bill. Honestly, this is true because the serving size is bigger, but hey, bigger is better in this case. With two simple flavors, vanilla and chocolate, you can mix in your own flavors to make your protein shakes tailored to your own preferences. Personally, I can’t decide whether this protein powder is my favorite one or if the unflavored Raw brand is my favorite. While this protein powder technically is the same price as the Levels brand if you buy it from Naked company directly, this protein powder is too good to not make the best protein powder list. If you buy it from Amazon, the price goes up just a bit at $1.13 per ounce but still, it’s a great bargain there for the amount of protein you get.
7. Best Cold-Pressed: Promix Grassfed Whey Protein
Promix Grassfed Whey Protein is another outstanding protein powder that is designed to have benefits for you and the planet. The cows are raised regeneratively on pastures in North America, and the ingredients in this protein powder are 94% local.
- 25 grams of protein and 6 grams of BCAAs for helping build a lean body
- Contains 4 grams of sugar from low-glycemic coconut sugar
- The label states that the cows are grass-fed year round (but doesn’t explicitly state that they are 100% grassfed)
- Has both L-carnitine, CLA, and glutathione to support lean muscle tissue and antioxidant status in the body
- Cold-pressed whey so nutrients are retained
Among the best cold-pressed whey protein is Promix Grassfed Whey Protein because it contains an impressive amount of BCAAs for muscle repair, antioxidants, L-carnitine for energy, and healthy fat ratios due to the fact that it is grassfed and also a whey protein concentrate. Interestingly, BCAAs may help many people, including those with stressful health conditions like liver issues, kidney issues, infections, and traumatic injuries. The only other supplement that competes for total BCAA content is AGN Roots, but again, this is probably because both of these powders list larger doses. But, this protein powder still deserves recognition for its high quality, great taste, great reviews, and satisfied customers. And it only costs $0.97 per ounce if you buy the 5-pound bag. Amazon competes well on this powder at the same price.
8. Best for Immunity: Vital Whey Grassfed Whey Protein
Well Wisdom Vital Whey Grassfed Whey Protein stands out as the best for immune health because it contains natural immunoglobulins, peptides, and lactoferrin. Lactoferrin reduces free radicals and helps starve harmful bacteria in the body. At the same time, immunoglobulins help bind allergic compounds while supporting immunity in the gut and are rich in milk colostrum.
- Protein 15 grams
- Less than 2 grams of lactose per serving
- Grass-fed and graze year-round on natural pastures
- Contains Proserum® whey protein which is a process of air-drying the powder to retain all the biological activity and immune benefits of raw milk.
If you want to bolster your body’s immune response as well as get a high-quality protein, Well Wisdom Vital Whey Grassfed Whey Protein is a great option. This is because raw milk contains important immune properties and while this protein powder isn’t technically raw, it is as close as it gets while being declared safe by the FDA. Similarly, first-milk cow colostrum is a great supplement for your immune system. And last but not least, if you get it on Fullscript, it’s close to 50 percent less cost than Amazon and you can sign up for Fullscript here. But you certainly can buy it on Amazon too if you are so inclined.
9. Best Sweetened: Garden of Life Organic Lightly Sweet (no Stevia)
Garden of Life Organic Lightly Sweet (no Stevia) is a great-tasting grassfed and USDA-certified organic whey protein powder with just a hint of coconut sugar to make it naturally sweet. It’s a great choice for people who don’t like the taste of stevia or other no-calorie sweeteners.
- 21 grams of protein and 2 grams of healthy fats per serving
- 4.7 grams of BCAAs in each serving
- Contains soil-based probiotics called Bacillus lactis
- American Humane Certified Whey Protein from pasture-raised on Organic farms in California
- Like all proteins in this post, this whey-free of added hormones (rBGH and rBST free) or routine antibiotics
- Fairtrade chocolate for the chocolate flavor
- Kosher and 3rd party tested for purity
If you are looking for a highly rated and lightly sweetened organic protein powder, Garden of Life Organic Lightly Sweet (no Stevia) is the perfect choice. This company has a reputation for having high-quality products and the taste reflects this. A couple of things to note about this protein powder is that it costs a bit more at around $2 per ounce and the price varies per flavor. On that note, it comes in tasty flavors, including peanut butter chocolate, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. The only downside is that it has 9 grams of added sugar, but this sugar is at least organic. And some endurance athletes benefit from some carbohydrates for performance, so hey, no need to judge it for everyone.
10. Best Unflavored: MD Ana Fit
MD Ana Fit is a newcomer on the scene of protein powders but definitely worth a look if you want an unflavored protein powder because it is formulated by healthcare professionals, it is organic, and also pasture-raised grassfed whey protein. It is reasonably priced as well.
- No artificial anything and USDA-certified organic, pasture-raised whey
- Soy free-contains sunflower lecithin for easier mixing
- 22 grams of protein and 4 grams of BCAAs in a serving
- Stevia sweetened naturally for the flavored varieties
- Unflavored so it mixes into virtually anything
While MD Ana Fit might be a new protein powder on the market, you should definitely consider it because it is pure and made of high-quality ingredients. Like other cold-pressed whey proteins, this one contains immunoglobulins as well, but the amount isn’t listed on the label. Some reviewers complain about the price, but it is in line with the cost of all other grassfed powder, and even on the more reasonable side compared to others. And it comes in fun flavors like caramel vanilla and strawberry banana too.
11. Best Kosher Certified: Muscle Feast Grassfed Whey Protein Concentrate
Muscle Feast Grassfed Whey Protein Concentrate is a phenomenal protein powder for the price. The company has rigid quality standards and strict criteria for pasture-raising their cows. This is definitely a protein powder I recommend across the board and it is also certified to meet the standards of the Orthodox Union for Kosher Dairy.
- 19 grams of protein and 4.4 grams BCAAs per serving
- Stevia sweetened for natural sweetness
- OU Kosher Certified
- Grass (Forage) Fed -Grass and foraged for the lifetime of the cows.
- Animals cannot be fed grain or grain byproducts and must have continuous access to pasture during the growing season.
- Naturally contains immunoglobulins and healthy fats
It is clear that the competition for protein powders drives the increase in high-quality protein powders on the market, and Muscle Feast Grassfed Whey Protein Concentrate goes above and beyond the expected excellence. I’m very impressed by this powder because it has clear grazing rules for its cows which is so important for the quality of the soil, the health of the earth, and the health of the animals and product. This one actually is becoming my top favorite for this reason although it is very hard to choose with so many options today. This one comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Plain, and if you buy the 5-pound container, it is actually the best value as well at $0.88 per ounce. The 2-pound container is $1.38 per ounce so you save a lot by purchasing in bulk. Oh, and it tastes just like chocolate milk when you mix it into whole milk; I find this combo very delicious. Sadly, I usually have to mix it into coconut milk because the whole milk’s lactose content bothers my stomach. But, luckily, like all other whey protein powder, the protein powder itself is low in lactose. I do have a hack for lactose though: take a digestive enzyme with lactase in it.
12. Best 100% Grassfed Whey: Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed
Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein is an affordable pure grass-fed whey protein powder that comes in 8 natural flavors from Cereal Splash which is natural cinnamon flavor, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Pastry, Milk Chocolate, Mocha, Salted Caramel, Strawberry, and Vanilla. *Note that the Cinnamon Pastry is not gluten-free. The rest of these whey products are gluten-free.
- Naturally sweetened with stevia
- The highest protein per serving with 28 grams of protein
- Highly rated for taste and quality
- Naturally fed, hormone-free cow whey
- Free of artificial sweeteners, food dyes, and preservatives
- Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate is one of the healthiest protein powders on the market.
- Great for post-workout recovery and for people wanting to enhance their dietary protein
If you are after a super high protein powder that is fully grass-fed, Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed is your best bet. The flavors are outstanding and the taste is great bar none. Per ounce, this one costs more but per gram of protein is very similar to the cost of other powders on the market. Like other whey protein isolates, this one doesn’t give you any CLA, and the only other downside is that the extraction method for the whey isn’t listed on the label. But, it’s a great protein powder, so give this one a look if you need a quick way to get more protein in your diet.
13. Best Professional Grade: Designs for Health Whey Cool Protein Powder
Designs for Health Whey Cool Protein Powder is one of the few professional grade grass fed whey protein powders on the market that blends 3 types of whey: concentrate, hydrolysate, and isolate to give you the best of all of these. For example, whey protein hydrolysate is enzymatically broken down to ease digestion, while whey isolate provides a concentrated protein source. And the concentrate is exceptional for its broader nutrient content.
- Great taste and easy to mix
- Cows are entirely grass-fed and pasture-raised to make the healthiest protein powder
- No added preservatives or flavorings
- 20 grams of protein per serving and 5 grams of BCAAs per serving
- Sweetened with organic stevia leaf
Bar none, Designs for Health Whey Cool Protein Powder is a fantastic professional-grade grass-fed whey protein powder because it tastes amazing and you can trust this company. In fact, this company is rated #1 by Consumer Labs for customer satisfaction. The only downside is that the price is higher than most at around $3 an ounce at the time of this post. But if you are serious about a great protein powder, this one is for you. And you can’t even get a cup of coffee for $3 anymore.
14. Best Meal Replacement: RSP Nutrition True Fit
RSP Nutrition True Fit makes for a great meal replacement shake for people who are too busy to grab a healthy meal. And it truly does taste like a yummy glass of chocolate milk unless you are totally stevia adverse. But, I’ve noticed after a while stevia is an acquired taste, so give it a moment to get used to it (or a few weeks) because stevia is all natural despite some people’s misconceptions.
- 25 grams of protein-for a concentrate, that’s a high amount
- Contains healthy CLA and omega-3 fats
- Rich in antioxidants because it contains a superfood blend of organic fruits and vegetables
- Has both prebiotic fibers and probiotics
As a healthy meal replacement RSP Nutrition True Fit has VitaFiber™ as a natural sweetener and fiber source, sweet potato, organic strawberry, organic raspberry, organic blueberry, organic tart cherry, organic elderberry, organic cranberry, organic broccoli, organic broccoli sprouts, organic tomato, organic carrot, organic spinach, organic kale, and Bacillus coagulans (1 Billion CFU). The only downside I can see to this protein supplement is that it doesn’t specifically say that the whey protein is from 100% pasture-raised cows.
15. Best Chocolate: Natural Force Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein
Natural Force Grass Fed Organic is derived from grassfed Jersey cows, which makes it easy to digest and the chocolate flavor is especially great. It is also Non-GMO Verified, Humane Certified, and third-party lab tested for toxins. Contains a natural Real Vanilla Flavor in the vanilla flavor, is low in carbohydrates, and keto-friendly as well.
- From Jersey cows, which is easier for some people to digest
- USDA organic protein powder
- Less packaging
- American Humane Certified
- Natural contains healthy omega-3 fats
- 100% grassfed cows
- Naturally flavored
- Third-party tested for purity
- Monkfruit as a natural sweetener for improved sugar-free taste
- Cold processed
As one of the very first grassfed whey proteins on the market, Natural Force Grass Fed Organic whey continues to perform with high-quality standards and delicious taste. While Natural Force costs a bit more at $1.78 per ounce, it is because it is both grassfed and organic. Additionally, it has monk fruit sweetener, which for people like me, is more enjoyable than stevia. And you can be assured that there are no weird additives, chemicals, or heavy metals in this one.
16. Best Vanilla: Garden of Life Sport
Garden of Life Sport is a great whey protein with Certified Grass Fed Clean Whey Protein Isolate in vanilla flavor. This is also Non-GMO Project Verified, Gluten-free, Soy-free, NSF Certified for Sport. Contains 24g Grass-Fed Whey, 4g Glutamine, and over 6g BCAA amino acids
- Contains certified grassfed whey protein
- 24 grams of protein per serving
- 6 grams of BCAA amino acids
- 4 grams of glutamine per serving
- Natural vanilla flavor
- No sugar added
- Contains fiber and probiotics at 2 billion CFUs per serving
- Contains natural CLA, a healthy fat that reduces the risk of health issues
- Sweetened with erythritol, so there is no bad aftertaste
If you are looking for a great-tasting and high protein whey in Vanilla flavor, Garden of Life Sport is an excellent choice. Unlike many protein powders, this one mixes well with water, so you don’t have to disguise it in nut milk or dairy milk. This one is naturally sweetened with erythritol, but be aware that some people are sensitive to it related to digestion. While erythritol has gotten some bad press lately, it is actually all-natural and even reduces blood sugar spikes. To learn more about erythritol, check out my post about The Best Healthy Substitute for Sugar. Still, there may be a concern about the use of blood clots, although truly, the research was only done on 8 subjects. All previous research shows that erythritol is a safe and useful sweetener.
17. Best Coffee: Opportuniteas Coffee Whey Protein Powder
Opportuniteas Coffee Whey Protein Powder is a great clean protein for coffee-lovers. It’s very easy to mix and is made of all-natural ingredients. Naturally flavored with coffee, so it also has a little caffeine boost if you are looking for performance enhancement or just a little more focus in your day.
- 60 mg of caffeine from coffee
- Super high protein with 27 grams of protein per serving (because it’s an isolate)
- Grass-fed and pasture-raised cows from New Zealand
- Cold-temperature processing to purify the protein and maximize the nutritional benefits
- Great for recovery and for enhancing exercise performance
I love Opportuniteas Coffee Whey Protein Powder because it is one of the few flavored protein powders that doesn’t contain any sweetener, natural or otherwise. Sweetened coffee isn’t my deal, so I know other people feel the same. Be aware that the vanilla and chocolate flavors in this brand have a moderate amount of cane sugar, however. Opportuniteas is another great brand for anyone trying to stay healthy while keeping cows healthy.
Whey Fantastic Unflavored – is a blend of whey isolate, concentrate, and hydrolysate to give you the best of all forms. Reasonably priced at around $1 per ounce, this gives you 25 grams of protein per serving. Naturally raised on pastures as well, this product is a cut above almost all conventional proteins on the market. It mixes well and gets great ratings too.
Pure Label Nutrition 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Isolate is also an excellent choice, but this blog has room for only so many. It meets all quality criteria with 100% grassfed whey protein, 24 grams of protein per serving and is free of any artificial junk. Cold-processed and undenatured, but like all other isolates, doesn’t contain other nutrients. Stevia-sweetened and also comes in unflavored, vanilla, and chocolate.
Why add grass fed whey protein powder to your diet?
While whole foods rich in protein are ideal for health, they aren’t always practical or feasible with busy lives or if you are too fatigued to eat. That is why whey protein can be a big boon to health.
Grassfed whey protein powder can be an easy “whey” to fill in some gaps in your diets for amino acids like branch-chain amino acids, tryptophan, healthy fats like CLA, and L-carnitine for energy support.
Branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) are amino acids that are naturally found in grass-fed whey protein. Research shows that they help with improving muscle growth after resistance exercise.
And research shows that whey protein supplements can reverse muscle loss and frailty.
If you find yourself eating a lot of pasta and carbs, a protein powder may also help you with appetite control and also help you build lean tissue instead of fat tissue.
Caution: if you have a dairy allergy, you should choose a pea protein powder or another low-allergen type of organic protein powder, such as organic water lentils. Make sure to choose natural protein powders and avoid overly processed soy protein isolates with GMOs.100% Grass-Fed Beef Only At Grassland Beef
How is whey protein made?
Cow’s milk has two kinds of protein: casein and whey protein. How is whey protein made?
- Separation of milk: To separate casein and whey, milk is simply heated and then separated by enzymes.
- Saving all milk components: Whey protein is the by-product of cheese making so none of the precious protein of milk is wasted.
- The casein is used to make cheese while the liquid whey is then filtered and dried to become a powder.
- Cheese by-product-This is one of the reasons that whey protein concentrate is considered a type of sustainable food. It is a by-product of cheese making. Prior to the 1970’s it was tossed and considered waste!
How are Organic and Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powders Different?
Should you choose certified grass-fed whey protein powder or organic whey protein powder? Or bother spending more than conventional whey on either?
The differences between grass-fed whey protein and organic are clear because it is more beneficial for the ecosystem than standard whey. Additionally, grass fed cows have a higher concentration of healthy fats called CLA, or conjugated linoleic acid.
There are some other important distinctions to be aware of between grass-fed and organic whey protein.
- Grass-fed whey protein is the whey protein that comes from cows fed strictly on a natural diet of grass. Cows are meant to graze on grass and not eat in a feedlot with grains. Grass-fed beef is the healthiest beef.
- Certified grass-fed whey protein or 100% pure grassfed whey protein takes it a step further, requiring 100% grass as a sole source of nutrition.
- This is the “whey” nature intended because cows are fed a natural diet of grass.
- Organic whey protein-Chemical free because the cow’s milk comes from cows without the use of pesticides or herbicides. Organic does not necessarily mean that the cows are fed the best diet or most natural diet for their health. It will also be free of GMO sunflower lecithin and all GMO ingredients.
- Certified organic grass-fed whey protein powder is the type of whey protein that meets the strict criteria for certified organic and is also from verified sustainable cows. It is also hormone-free.
- *This is the ideal choice for whey protein powders because it is the most nutritious and free from potentially dangerous chemicals.
Grass-Fed Whey is Better than Conventional Whey
Grass-fed protein is a better choice for your health and for sustainable agriculture as well. The following sections are the reasons why it is better and even healing for the environment to choose grass-fed whey.
Grassfed cows are not raised on CAFOs
Most conventional farms have cows mature in what are called CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations), which are feedlots that mass feed cows, mostly with grains of soy and/or corn.
Most CAFOs are unsanitary, which requires the cows to be injected with antibiotics to avoid sickness. Additionally, cows are often pumped full of steroids for increased growth and beef output.
On the other hand, grass-fed protein powder will have NO feedlot time ever.
Grazing cattle is better for them and for you
Crops of plants require animals for the best ecology and soil enrichment. A healthy ecosystem can not be one without the other.
Grass-fed cows are raised in a more traditional manner, free to graze the fields and eat naturally grown grass.
This is obviously more expensive, as the requirements for fertile land are far superior to those of a feedlot. Organic grass-fed whey protein derived from cows raised in the most natural way is the cleanest whey protein out there.
The best grass-fed whey protein will also have nutritional differences.
Bonus: Grass-fed beef is a natural fertilizer for plants.
Related post: The 15 Important Benefits of Grass Fed Beef
Why Choose Organic Whey and Grass-fed Whey?
Whey proteins can be good for you and for a healthy planet too.
But, when we want to choose the best protein powder for our health as well as a healthy environment, there are a lot of things to consider.
- While a vegan diet may seem at first glance to be the only way to save the planet, we need to consider plant fertilization and soil ecology too.
- Plants need fertilization, and this fertilizer should NOT come from a chemical fertilizer bag, according to the Agriculture Sustainability Institute.
Grass-fed cows help the soil sequester carbon, retain moisture, and support a healthy soil ecology. This is also known as humus.
A complex ecosystem will include healthy animals as well as plant diversity to thrive. Sustainable agriculture, including certified grass-fed beef, certified grass-fed whey protein, and cheeses, can fit into a healthy diet too.
Note: always choose whey protein powders that use cold processing. This also helps avoid added chemicals. Cold processing also lends itself to the best-tasting protein powder.
Grass-Fed Whey Protein Nutrition
Grass-fed whey protein benefits are numerous. This is because most grass-fed cow farms do NOT use and don’t even need to use antibiotics, steroids, or pesticides, which have been found to pass down damaging effects to humans with the consumption of cow byproducts.
This leaves you with pure, unadulterated whey protein. Here are some nutritional differences between conventional whey protein and grass-fed whey protein.
To get the benefit of the healthy fats in a whey protein, make sure to choose whey protein concentrate, not whey protein isolate.
Omega-3s (made up of DHA and EPA) are fantastic fatty acids that are vital to proper cognition and mood, as well as decreased risk of heart disease. Grass fed whey protein concentrate contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) is another fatty acid found in the highest amounts in grass-fed whey protein. Research shows that CLA may be helpful in reducing cancer risk, reducing body fat, and aiding in weight management.
CLA content is higher in grass-fed cows than in feedlot cows.
Glutathione is the body’s primary antioxidant and grass-fed whey protein labels claim that grass-fed contains a lot more than standard whey proteins.
Essential amino acids- grass-fed whey protein contains all essential amino acids to support building lean body tissue. So does conventional whey.
Antioxidants-grass-fed animals contain higher amounts of antioxidants, including beta-carotene, lutein, Vitamin A (retinol), vitamin E (tocopherol), and phytol from chlorophyll.
Branch-chain amino acids
According to AGN Roots, grass-fed whey protein almost always has more branch-chain amino acids than conventional whey protein. These types of amino acids are essential amino acids that support healthy muscle building and help reduce weakness and frailty in older adults.
For recipes using grassfed whey protein, check out my post with whey protein smoothie recipes.
Here are some other simple recipes where you can simply substitute the best grass-fed protein powder supplements for any protein powder ingredient:
Certified organic and certified grass-fed whey protein powders are the best whey proteins out there. They help nourish your body and support a healthy planet too. As with anything make sure to check with your healthcare provider before embarking on any healthy routine.
Heidi Moretti, MS, RD is The Healthy RD. A registered dietitian for 23 years as well as a book author of the new book Gut Fix and The Whole Body Guide to Gut Health, Heidi has a passion for functional nutrition and natural medicine. She has researched supplements and natural medicine throughout her career. One of her biggest loves is helping people gain function and vitality by tackling the root causes of illness.