The best chlorella brand names on the market can be challenging to find.
But, finding a good chlorella supplement is worth your time because it has some amazing health benefits which I will review for you here.
I will also break down the best chlorella brands for you in this post using the following criteria.
Table of Contents
Criteria for choosing the best Chlorella brands
I am including brand reviews for you so that you can find high-quality chlorella products. The criteria I used are the following:
- Certified Organic brands are preferred and premium chlorella with GMP certification when possible
- They get at least 4.5 star reviews from at least 100 customers
- GMP certified or 3rd party certified
- Gluten free as well and GMO free
- Broken cell wall to break down the hard cell wall
- Chlorella Pyrenoidosa is chosen when possible due to its higher potency
- Ingredients are purely chlorella and nothing else
This post contains affiliate links. Visit the disclosure page for more information.
Best chlorella supplement brand names
Don’t have time to read the whole thing? Here is a quick glance at the best chlorella supplements in capsule, powder, and tablet form.
Evaluation of the best chlorella brand names
Microingredients Organic Chlorella Powder
Micro Ingredients Organic Chlorella Powder has a full pound of USDA Certified Organic Chlorella powder that is non-irradiated for $31. Also, there are over 600 reviews with great customer satisfaction for this chlorella powder. Because of this, it is the best chlorella powder brand on the market today.
- Contains 151 servings per bag
- USDA Certified Organic
- Highly absorbable
- Great reviews from over 600 reviewers
- Grown in South Korea
- Nice clean taste of Chlorella, so it is great for smoothies and drinks
- Pure organic chlorella powder is the only ingredient
- Broken cell wall Chlorella vulgaris
- Unclear if it is 3rd party certified
- Some people dislike the taste of chlorella in general so would be better suited to take in a capsule or tablet form
Perfect Supplements Perfect Spirulina/Chlorella Capsules
Perfect Chlorella Aquatic Greens Spirulina/Chlorella is grown in the most environmentally friendly method by using controlled raceway ponds with Water Positive Footprint water. This means that the water is recaptured, cleansed, and managed for maximum environmental sustainability and purity. This product also has the most rigorous testing of all, making it the purest form of chlorella you can find on the market today.
- 100% USDA, NOP, Naturland, and EcoCert Organic Certified
- NO pesticides, herbicides, or toxic chemicals
- Non-GMO and Non-Irradiated
- Free from Algal Toxins
- HALAL Certified Ingredient and Kosher
- Fully Lab tested in a GMP GMP-certified facility as well as grown in an ISO-22000 GMP-certified facility.
- Pure and free of any contaminants.
- Gluten-Free, Soy Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free, and Nut Free
- Fair trade product
- No fillers, additives, or artificial ingredients
- A bit more expensive than other brands
Earth Circle Organic Chlorella Tablets
Earth Circle Organics, contains premium Chlorella Vulgaris tablets and is USDA Certified Organic, Kosher, and is a high potency supplement. Also, this is a pure Chlorella raw superfood tablet. It is a cracked cell wall chlorella to increase absorption, high in protein, and contains no additives or fillers.
- 400 Tablets or 100 servings per container
- No binders, fillers, or additives
- USDA certified organic
- Sourced from Taiwan’s Premier Micro-algae Manufacturer known worldwide for quality products
- Produced in a GMP and HACCP food safety-certified environment
- Both are easy to chew or swallow whole
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Over 1500 ratings and most reviews are excellent
- Tablets are small so you need to eat more to get the same amount of chlorella as you would with capsules
Fresh Healthcare Chlorella Capsules
Fresh Healthcare Pure Chlorella Powder Capsules These are one of the best chlorella capsules because they are professionally formulated and this chlorella supplement is made in the USA. It is also one of the few brands that also carries the most potent form of chlorella known as Chlorella pyrenoidosa. It is also Non-Gmo and is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans because it contains zero animal products. As far as chlorella reviews go, this one gets the highest ratings as well.
- GMP certified
- Contains Chlorella Pyrenoidosa which is highly potent
- 1200 mg per serving
- Great reviews from over 900 reviewers
- Manufactured in the USA
- Profits help support Medical Relief International to fund poverty relief, medical aid, and sustainability projects
- Great for bowel regularity
- Reviewers report better energy and improved skin health
- 3rd party tested for being free of heavy metals
- Certified Organic by Organic Certifiers in California
- 90 servings per container and a great value
It is unclear where this chlorella product is grown
Now Chlorella Powder and Tablets
Now Brand Organic Chlorella Powder contains naturally occurring Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, Mixed Carotenoids, Vitamin C, Iron and Protein, 1-Pound of organic chlorella for right around $29. This highly-rated product is sure to please people who want a good chlorella powder for a good value.
Chlorella reviews of this Now Brand even include rave reviews for their dogs. For example, one reviewer stated that Now Chlorella powder sprinkled on his dog food every day helped their dog to be more energetic and his doggy breath is a lot better!
- High-quality chlorella where the cell wall has been broken down mechanically to aid digestibility
- USDA Certified Organic and Non-GMO
- Vegan/Vegetarian, Kosher, Soy Free, Gluten Free and Low Sodium
- GMP Quality Assured and NPA A-rated GMP certification for safety and purity
- Packaged in the USA by the trusted Now company
- Contains 150 servings per container
- Suggested use is to add 1 heaping teaspoon to water, fruit, or vegetable juice daily.
- Reputation of Now Brand is unsurpassed
- Over 300 positive reviews
- Grown in China which isn’t a big concern since it maintains USDA organic standards
Good Natured Organic Chlorella/Spirulina Powder
Good Natured Organic Chlorella Sprulina 50/50 mix is an Organic Chlorella Spirulina Powder that is half chlorella and half spirulina. Contains 100 Servings per container for under $30. With over 1100 positive ratings, you can be assured that this product is of the highest quality.
- Grown under the healthiest conditions of fresh mountain spring water in one of the largest microalgae manufacturers in the world
- USDA Certified Organic Chlorella Spirulina powder
- This manufacturer in Southern Taiwan is the only company to use clean, uncontaminated, and environmentally protected water
- Sun exposure – grown in direct sunlight to increase the chlorophyll of the spirulina chlorella blue-green algae and helps produce the deep green color.
- Each bag has a 3+ month supply
- Vacuum-sealed for freshness and patented flash-pressure processing to break down the cell wall
- Reviewers love the clear skin and subtle energy they get from this product
- Some reviewers say it tastes stronger than pure chlorella
Dr Mercola Fermented Chlorella Tablets
Dr Mercola’s Fermented Chlorella tablets are economy size and made famous by Dr. Mercola’s unique process of fermenting Chlorella. The dose is 1000mg with each bottle containing 450 Tablets. This is the only chlorella-fermented product on the market I could find. Caveat; this brand is not certified organic, but because it is a Dr. Mercola brand, it is of high quality.
- Dr. Mercola’s is the only fermented chlorella on the market
- Fermenting breaks open the cell walls without damaging the nutrients and antioxidants
- Higher bioavailability due to fermentation
- Free from hazardous toxins
- The indoor grow process also allows a consistent, year-round supply of high-quality clean chlorella.
- No synthetic ingredients, additives, or preservatives
- Easy to swallow
- GMP Certified
- Factory location not disclosed on the label
Anthony’s Organic Chlorella Powder
Anthony’s Organic Chlorella Powder Supplement 8oz is a Non-GMO and Broken Cell Wall algae for under $15 for 8 oz. This is a smaller size for chlorella beginners.
- Contains raw organic chlorella
- It gets great customer satisfaction reviews with over 2000 positive reviews.
- USDA Certified Organic and packaged in California
- Broken cell wall chlorella
- This powder doesn’t clump and has a smooth green taste
- Reputable company with great reviews
- States that it is batch tested but third-party certification is unknown and the country of origin is unknown
Triquetera Biochlorella Organic Chlorella Powder Has an impressive 4 Organic Certifications. It comes in Raw Form and is grown in the fresh air and sun of rural Southern India. This is the guaranteed best source of chlorella $23.53 for 8 oz. Over 300 overall great reviews on product satisfaction. It is also the purest Chlorella in the world – it is certified organic by the 4 major organic certifications, including USDA, Ecocert, Naturland & EU.
- Many reviewers say this is the most potent chlorella that they have ever tried
- 4 independent organic certifications including USDA-certified organic
- Third-party tested and is100% Contaminate Free
- Grown in an environmentally pristine area of South India with plentiful sunlight
- 100% purified water with only plant-based fertilizers
- Free of heavy metals, yeast, mold, E. coli, BMAA, solvents, binders, microcystins, pheophorbide, and irradiation
- non GMO and allergen free
- Some people do complain about the strong smell
Biopure Chlorella Pyrenoidosa Tablets
- Biopure Chlorella Pyrenoidosa is another great chewable Chlorella option because it is a certified organic and high quality chlorella supplement from a reputable and ethical company. They use sustainable farms as well as biodegradable packaging. The Pyrenoidosa form of chlorella in this supplement is slightly more detoxifying of heavy metals than the Vulgaris variety. It is a 400 tablet package for $30.00. The serving size is 12 tablets and this package contains 21 servings.
- 100% certified organic chlorella tablets and GMP certified
- Contains Chlorella pyrenoidosa grown in man-made ponds that receive natural sunlight
- Highly ionized oxygenated fresh water is used to increase the potency to help enhance the potency
- Brand that is trusted by healthcare professionals
- 3rd party tested to be free of impurities, binders, and pesticides
- Pressure-based process to crack the cell walls
The packaging does not say where it is grown
Honorable Mention but Didn’t Make the Cut
Sunfood Raw Spirulina/Chlorella Tablets
Sunfood Raw Spirulina Chlorella Tablets are a 50/50 Blend of spirulina and chlorella that contains the potent Chlorella Pyrenoidosa. Contains over a 1-month supply per package.
- Best chlorella spirulina tablets because it contains Chlorella Pyrenoidosa spirulina chlorella tablets
- Contains broken cell wall chlorella: The cell walls are broken using a chemical-free pressure-and-release technique
- Grown in Taiwan outdoors in pure freshwater and sun
- Over 1100 positive reviews
- Label has a California proposition warning like many natural products, but you may want to go with another product to guarantee purity
- Not third-party certified
What is chlorella?
Chlorella is a very small alga that can have a big health impact. It is one minuscule cell in size, but size doesn’t matter in this case.
A type of freshwater green algae, chlorella is packed with chlorophyll and lots of nutrients and antioxidants that help with detoxification. Rather than saltwater, chlorella grows in warm freshwater water lakes and ponds.
It is a one-cell organism and is not seafood, contrary to popular belief!
While only one cell in size, Chlorella has a tough cell wall that is hard to break down.
Because of this, you should find broken or cracked cell wall Chlorella to add to your diet rather than whole Chlorella. Its cell walls are made of cellulose that needs to be broken down; humans don’t digest whole cellulose very well.
Chlorella fermentation also increases the ability to absorb this nutritious algae [R].
Here are 10 facts about Chlorella and algae that you may find interesting.
- Algae has been part of human diets for thousands of years [R]
- Over 6 billion tons of algae are eaten per year in the United States
- Tsimshian First Nations people harvested the important food crop of algae called Pyropia and named the month of May for its harvest
- Chlorella was first discovered in 1890
- Chlorella’s use has varied based on popular trends and its trend is continuing to grow as a functional food [R]
- Most early research about Chlorella began in the 1950s when fears over global food shortages abounded
- Algae is a great source of healthy vegan omega-3 fatty acids when fermented
- Spirulina is not really algae at all; it is a type of bacteria called cyanobacteria. It is closely related to other algae like kelp, nori, and wakame
- Algae, especially Chlorella, are vegan B12 sources
- Chlorella can help make great-tasting and healthy liver detox smoothies
Chlorella is a superfood with many health benefits. Here are some of the main areas which Chlorella may benefit your health. Keep in mind, most of the studies exploring Chlorella are either small or preliminary in animals.
This means that there are benefits of chlorella in early research.
One thing is for sure: quality of life improves for most people who decide to take chlorella supplements.
Detoxification of heavy metals
The benefits chlorella has for cleansing and detoxification are numerous.
Research shows that chlorella may remove mercury from nerve tissue [R]. It even may keep mercury from transferring to babies from mothers [R]. Chlorella benefits the body by decreasing heavy metals in the blood of people who have amalgam or “silver” dental fillings [R].
It also safely removes mercury from the body by eliminating mercury through bowel movements and urine. Chlorella may reduce other heavy metals like cadmium and lead from absorbing into the body as well.
Here are some other detoxification benefits of chlorella:
- May reduce radiation damage to the body [R].
- Clears dangerous toxins in breast milk called dioxins [R].
- Helps eliminate perfluorinated compounds, which are environmental toxins [R]. This is because Chlorella is helpful for liver detoxification.
Chlorella’s metabolism benefits
Chlorella has many roles in keeping the body healthy because it supports healthy metabolism and weight loss. For example, it benefits health by improving hormones, insulin levels, and blood sugar levels [R] [R].
Helps improve cholesterol and liver health
Chlorella not only helps people with blood sugar levels, but it also can help reduce LDL cholesterol and triglycerides by over 10 percent [R]. It improves overall cholesterol levels but has the biggest effect on reducing blood triglyceride levels [R].
Research also shows that Chlorella may improve immune function and liver function in diseases like hepatitis C and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease [R].
Chlorella skin and hair benefits
Chlorella contains essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, nucleic acids, DNA, RNA, and antioxidants. For these reasons, many people use chlorella in their skincare routines as a face mask. More importantly, eating chlorella may increase your beauty from within and support collagen production when taken as a supplement.
The chlorophyll in Chlorella has antioxidant effects, and topical use of chlorophyll has anti-aging effects on the skin, similar to hyaluronic acid [R].
Here are some examples of the research-backed benefits of chlorella for skin and how chlorella benefits hair health too.
- May help the skin look younger, reduce fine lines, tighten the skin, and increase the lifespan of skin cells [R].
- Healthy skin is promoted because of its ability to help the body remove heavy metals.
- Chlorella benefits for skin include its anti-aging benefits.
- May help make hair more shiny [R].
- Chlorella products may reduce atopic dermatitis [R].
- Chlorella benefits gray hair or slows the graying process.
- People with inflammatory autoimmune conditions may notice improvements in health with anti-inflammatory algae [R].
- Helps with acne in some people because of its high nutrient content.
Chlorella for reducing inflammation
Using chlorella may help dampen inflammation in the body because research shows that it has strong anti-inflammatory effects because it stops free radicals. It reduces inflammatory compounds including tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-1β, and IL-6 [R]. It also reduces inflammatory antibodies called IgA as well as toxins in infants of mothers fed chlorella [R].
Here are some other ways that chlorella helps fight inflammation:
- Reduces pain and inflammation in bladder inflammation, or cystitis [R].
- Chlorella can improve quality of life by dampening inflammation and reducing toxins in people who have fibromyalgia [R].
Chlorella brain benefits
It probably comes as no surprise to you by now that chlorella is also good for brain health due to its nutritious compounds.
Here are some reasons why chlorella may help your brain:
- Chlorella may reduce brain fog by reducing your toxic burden.
- Improves mood and may reduce depression symptoms [R].
- May reduce Parkinson’s symptoms by improving nerve dopamine levels and reducing inflammation [R].
Chlorella for high blood pressure
Any food that has a lot of nutrients like chlorella is also good for helping support healthy blood pressure levels. This means that supplemental chlorella definitely helps blood pressure levels in some people [R].
Chlorella and fertility
Chlorella may increase fertility too. A research study showed that using small doses didn’t change sperm counts but increased fertility rates in males with infertility [R].
Chlorella benefits for gout
Although it is too soon to tell if Chlorella helps gout, Chlorella supplements do reduce blood uric acid levels [R]. Uric acid is implicated in causing gout symptoms, so it makes sense that chlorella could be beneficial for this condition.
Is chlorella high in oxalates?
I could not find any research about chlorella for its oxalate content. However, plant-based diets tend to reduce the chances of kidney stones.
Chlorella for pets
Chlorella for dogs: chlorella may help revitalize your dog’s health because of its rich nutrient profile. It can also be healthy for cats.
Tips: Make sure to give pets very small amounts and only give them to your pet if you have your veterinarian’s approval.
Types of chlorella
While many varieties of Chlorella exist, the major categories are:
- Chlorella Vulgaris
- Chlorella lobophora
- Chlorella sorokiniana
- Chlorella Pyrenoidosa
Algae farming is best suited for the Chlorella Vulgaris variety. This strain is a very attractive food source because it rapidly multiplies due to a compound called the Chlorella growth factor.
While many plant foods like Chlorella are nutritious, there are some very distinct properties about Chlorella that make it shine. Here are some facts about Chlorella and a very similar substance called Spirulina.
Chlorella versus Spirulina
Are you trying to figure out the difference between chlorella versus spirulina? Remember, both are very nutritious, but there are some big differences between the two.
Consider these facts:
Spirulina is actually a Gram-negative, non-toxic species of cyanobacteria, not true algae. Both Chlorella and Spirulina are regarded as ideal foods due to their high content of protein, vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, and β-carotene.
Chlorella has some distinct nutrients and compounds and so does spirulina. Here are those differences.
Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF)
The chlorella growth factor is present exclusively in chlorella and is not found in spirulina. This healthy compound supports cellular health because it contains nucleic acids, DNA, and RNA.
CGF Chlorella growth factor may also help people because it enhances the innate immune response [R]. By multiplying itself 4 times over every 24 hours, CGF may help increase the healing of damaged tissue.
Chlorella has more chlorophyll than any plant. Its nutrient and protein content are also some of the highest of any food on the planet. It has even more chlorophyll than spirulina.
Containing a blue pigment called C-phycocyanin, spirulina sets itself apart. This compound helps to reduce histamine release, may help protect the liver, and may reduce cancer risk [R].
Spirulina contains GLA-Gamma Linolenic Acid, which may help reduce inflammation, arthritis, and joint issues Chlorella contains more omega-3 fatty acids than spirulina.
As you can see, both Spirulina and Chlorella have unique and important health benefits. It may be a good idea to use both or rotate the two in your diet.
Chlorella Nutrition Facts
Chlorella is very rich in vitamins and minerals. It also contains a very high amount of protein, amino acids, antioxidants, and fiber as well! The iron content of chlorella is the highest of any plant source too.
Chlorella B12 levels are also really helpful. This is because it is one of the ONLY vegan B12 sources. Even better: it has greater than the daily RDI for vitamin B12 with right at 100 micrograms per serving.
The following are the amounts of nutrients per 10 grams of Chlorella [R]. A realistic portion would be around 10 grams of Chlorella per day, but you should slowly work up to that dose.
10 grams is equal to about a tablespoon a day. I recommend starting with a heaping teaspoon per day.
- Calories: 34
- Protein 5 grams
- Carbohydrates 1 gram
- Dietary fiber 1 gram
- Fat 0.9 grams
- Saturated fatty acid: 0.2 grams
- Monounsaturated fatty acid 0.2 grams
- Polyunsaturated fatty acid 0.3 grams
- Omega 3 fats and Omega 6 fats
- Linoleic acid (g/100 g) 0.1 gram
- α‐Linolenic acid (g/100 g) 0.2 gram
- β‐Carotene 1 mg
- Vitamin B1 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B2 0.5 mg
- Vitamin B3 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B5 0.1 mg
- Vitamin B6 0.12 mg
- Vitamin B12 0.1 mg
- Vitamin C 0.2 mg
- Folate 0.3 mcg
- Biotin 0.2 mcg
- Para‐amino‐benzoic acid 0.1 mg
- Phosphorus 96
- Potassium 15 mg
- Magnesium 44 mg
- Calcium 27 mg
- Iron 7 mg
- Copper 0.2 mg
- Zinc 6 mg
- Manganese 0.4 mg
- Iodine 0.1 mg
- Lutein 8 mg
- Lycopene 0.03 mg
- Zeaxanthin 0.07 mg
- Chlorophyll 20 mg!
Chlorella and detoxification
Detoxification is the body’s way of neutralizing harmful compounds in the body. These toxins can be things we eat too much of, such as sugar, or substances that are toxic in very small doses, such as pesticides and household chemicals.
Toxin types are vast; an estimated 100,000 chemicals or more are in our homes and air. Of these, less than 10 percent have safety data! Our bodies can and do clear and neutralize toxins on their own.
However, if you have a high amount of toxins and certain types of toxins in your body, this can change your health drastically. Toxins can slow down the body’s ability to make energy and increase the risk of cancer, autoimmune disease, hormone issues, heart disease, brain diseases, and more.
How chlorella helps detoxify
Chlorella can help with all phases of detoxification in the body. We first must understand where toxins come from. Toxin examples:
- Heavy metals
- Minerals at high doses, even necessary ones, including
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Air pollution
- Food additives
- Processed foods
- Cleaning products
- Dental appliances and fillings
- Many more
Our bodies have 3 phases of detoxification. Chlorella helps with all 3 phases of detox in the body. All steps are necessary for the best health.
Phase 1 detoxification and chlorella
Phase 1 detoxification takes place in the liver. Here, the liver activates enzymes to prepare the body to detoxify.
The products made from phase 1 are harmful to the body without phase 2! Toxins are oxidized in this step and can become more harmful than the original toxin.
To help prevent phase 1 from harming your body, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables as well as spices and herbs. This will help prevent more harm from detoxification.
Chlorella, rich in chlorophyll, helps phase 1 detox in the liver by helping to stabilize genes [R].
An important part of detoxification is making sure you reduce the toxic burden in your home and life.
Phase 2 and chlorella
Phase 2 detoxification neutralizes, or conjugates, toxins to be cleared from the body. You need vitamins, minerals, protein, and phytochemicals for this phase. The following foods and nutrients help with phase 2 detoxification:
- Onion, garlic, leeks
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Broccoli sprouts, Brussels sprouts, cabbage
- Protein and amino acids
- Bone broth, meat, eggs, cysteine or n-acetylcysteine
- Water lentils
- Antioxidants and minerals
- Turmeric, ginger, cumin, oregano, other spices and herbs
- Minerals like selenium and zinc
- Vitamin D3
Chlorella is rich in protein, antioxidants, and minerals that support phase 2 detoxification in the liver.
Phase 3 Detoxification and chlorella
Transport and elimination are key to the final removal of heavy metals and toxins from the body. You can enhance phase 3 detoxification by eating foods and supplements that bind or chelate toxins, including:
All of these substances can bind to heavy metals and safely help remove them from your body.
With phase 3 detoxification, you want anti-inflammatory foods and fermented foods too, like chlorella, apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut, and more. While our livers cleanse 24 hours a day, we can support their function with the best foods and supplements.
We can support healthy bile production by doing so as well, which helps the body detoxify.
When you detox your liver, your whole body will gain the benefits! Phase 3 is where the body is able to remove heavy metals, including lead, mercury, and nickel.
Low doses of mercury throughout our lives cause damage to the body. Mercury can silently harm nerves, heart tissue, vascular tissue, and kidneys. Mercury is sneaky and found in places you may not expect. This includes [R]:
- Pollution in air and water
- Old school laboratories
- Some types of fish, like king mackerel, albacore tuna, ahi tuna
- Some costume jewelry
- “Silver” fillings for cavities
- Soils near high traffic areas
Symptoms Of Mercury Toxicity Can Include:
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Digestive issues
- Reduced digestion and metabolism of fat
- Aching joints
- Skin issues
- Depression and anxiety
- Impaired blood sugar numbers
- Reproductive problems
- Nerve issues
Low levels of mercury exposure over the long term can cause toxicity that is both:
If you have amalgam fillings you may need to consider and replace them with non-toxic compounds such as porcelain. Mercury from amalgam is released into your body in very tiny amounts every day. It enters the saliva, then goes down into the stomach, becoming absorbed into the rest of the body [R].
How to safely detoxify mercury
You can help your body clear mercury by using chlorella, cilantro recipes, and nutrient-rich foods as described above that help the body with the elimination of toxins. You may also want to talk to your dentist about safe amalgam removal.
How does chlorella detox heavy metals? Chlorella helps all 3 phases of detoxification, including chelation.
Chlorella detox symptoms
As the body clears toxins, some minor side effects can occur and are usually temporary. These types of reactions are called Herxheimer reactions. Much of the side effects can be avoided by eating chlorella with other food and starting a chlorella detox gradually.
Safety of chlorella
Chlorella is safe in pregnancy, breastfeeding, for children, and for people of all ages. While no specific studies look at children specifically, there are benefits to babies from moms who eat Chlorella.
- Increased bowel movements (this is usually a good thing)
- Muscle aches
- Mild stomach cramps
- Itching or rash
Keep in mind, these side effects usually are temporary. The best way to prevent side effects is to start with low doses and work your way up slowly. Pre-existing medical conditions may increase the risk of side effects [R].
Avoid chlorella if you become allergic [R]. Other ways to help your detox are listed above in the phases of detoxification section.
The side effects of chlorella are clearly minimal and the long-term health benefits are big in most people.
Dietary supplements should be chosen with care; make sure the company you choose has 3rd party testing for purity and quality.
Chlorella interacts with warfarin, so make sure to discuss using chlorella with your healthcare provider if on this medication [R, R]. No other proven side effects with medications are known. If you take thyroid medication or antibiotics, you may need to wait an hour or more before eating anything, including chlorella.
Contrary to some statements, it does not have any known interactions with immuno-suppressive drugs. However, you should use caution with adding any new food or supplement to your regimen. Always seek medical advice from your healthcare practitioner.
How to use Chlorella
You may be asking, how much chlorella should I take daily? The recommended daily intake is at or below 10 g per day [R]. It can’t be emphasized enough: start slowly and gradually at about 3 grams per day or a heaping teaspoon. Also, take it with other food for best absorption and to make it easiest on you.
Also, do not eat or supplement chlorella on an empty stomach. Adding it slowly into your diet can make you feel great. Adding it quickly may make you feel poorly. Small amounts twice a day is better than a large amount at once. Add in cilantro; you may remove heavy metal safely and even more quickly.
A healthy diet and healthy gut bacteria also help the body remove heavy metals. Sweating and exercise help remove heavy metal toxins as well. Either eat fermented foods every day or consider supplemental probiotics. Fermented foods include:
- Water kefir
- Aged cheeses (if dairy tolerant)
- Probiotic supplements
- Coconut yogurt
Chlorella recipe ideas
- Add to homemade Paleo ice cream recipes
- Mix in a tsp into your kombucha
- Make a Chlorella spritzer:
- 1/2 cup mango nectar, 100% fruit
- 1/2 cup ginger kombucha
- 1 tsp chlorella
- Mix and enjoy!
- Add a tsp of chlorella to coconut yogurt
- Add a tsp of chlorella to vanilla or chocolate pudding
- can make a fun St Patrick’s Day pudding!
In summary, these mighty little one-celled algae called chlorella have numerous health benefits, including the safe removal of heavy metals from the body. Chlorella may help give you energy, gently detoxify, improve cholesterol, protect the liver, and improve your body composition. Chlorella should be an easy add-on to your life too.
Chlorella is an inexpensive way to help you get healthy. Make sure to choose broken-cell wall Chlorella or fermented Chlorella to help break them apart so they can help you detoxify. A healthy body comes with a healthy mind. Make sure to manage your stress. as part of a healthy lifestyle routine.
Heidi Moretti, MS, RD is The Healthy RD. A registered dietitian for 23 years as well as a book author of the new book Gut Fix and The Whole Body Guide to Gut Health, Heidi has a passion for functional nutrition and natural medicine. She has researched supplements and natural medicine throughout her career. One of her biggest loves is helping people gain function and vitality by tackling the root causes of illness.
This blog is not meant as medical advice. Always seek the help of your healthcare professional before starting any new healthcare routine.