If you don’t have time to read the whole best saw palmetto supplements post, here is a quick overview of the best picks:
Best Saw Palmetto Supplements Overall
- This is one of the best saw palmetto for prostate health because it is a pharmaceutical-grade supplement company that has rigorous 3rd party testing for purity.
- This product is also standardized to contain the highest percentage of total fatty acids of any supplement at 85%.
- This means that you get more saw palmetto in a smaller dose.
- Each bottle has 120 servings per container
- Free of major allergens, including wheat, eggs, tree nuts & peanuts, and gluten
- It is also free of additives including artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, unnecessary binders, and fillers. Also free of preservatives.
- It costs $0.57 per serving ($0.43 on Fullscript) at time of publication
- Highly rated
- Costs more than most
Most Potent Saw Palmetto for Prostate and Urinary Health
- Triquetra Saw Palmetto features the highest strength saw palmetto on the market because it is 100% oil extract using natural CO2 extraction process.
- Great prostate health supplement because of its extraction method and concentration
- It comes in a gelcap making it very easy to swallow and highly absorbable as well.
- Research shows that standardized extracts like this one are the most effective form of saw palmetto.
- Pharmaceutical Grade with 3rd party testing
- Grown in Florida in its own natural habitat
- Free of additives, fillers, solvents, and contaminants
- Also has pumpkin seed oil which works well to complement the DHT blocker effects of saw palmetto
- Gets great reviews
- 60 servings per bottle with 1 gelcap as a full dose
- Less pills needed than many brands
- With subscription costs $0.45 on Triquetra, $0.50 on Amazon at time of post publication
- More expensive than most
Best Saw Palmetto Supplements that are Organic
- Oregon’s Wild Harvest Organic contains whole berry saw palmetto powder in a capsule.
- Some experts claim that using the whole berry provides a broader spectrum of health benefits to improve prostate health and urinary health as well as hair growth
- Great supplement to help support prostate health according to reviewers
- All natural with no added fillers, colors, or chemicals for extraction
- 100% USDA organic saw palmetto berries
- 3rd party tested to be a high quality and pure saw palmetto supplement
- 45 servings per bottle
- $0.24 per serving at time of post
- Not for vegetarians because it is in a gelatin capsule
Best Organic Saw Palmetto Tincture
- This product contains all organic ingredients of saw palmetto, pumpkin seed extract, nettles, elderberries, turmeric, tribulus, red clover, juniper, and pine bark extract
- This tincture is made of an organic glycerin base
- Free of alcohol, additives, chemicals
- Its herbal blend supports the overall health and well-being of the urinary tract and prostate
- 1 year full money back guarantee
- $0.58 per serving
- May take a larger dose to achieve benefit according to reviewers
Best Saw Palmetto Supplements: Best for Women
While most people view saw palmetto as a prostate health supplement, women often say that they look and feel better frequently when taking saw palmetto too.
Fully Vital’s Saw Palmetto supplement contains saw palmetto fruit extract, 1000 mcg of biotin, 15 mg of zinc, 500 mg of maca root, natural folate, vitamin C, and turmeric extract per 4 capsules.
- 3rd party lab tested
- Highly rated
- DHT balance blend with over 2000 mg of herbs including saw palmetto and ashwagandha for women that helps prevent hair loss
- Also promotes urinary tract health and healthy hair growth for women
- Some women find that it helps reduce body hair growth caused by PCOS
- $1.96 per serving
Best Saw Palmetto Supplement- Based on Reviews
- Each Bottle of Organic Contains 30 Servings (30 Capsules) per Bottle
- Free of dairy, soy, and gluten
- Standardized 85% fatty acid concentration to help with urinary health and prostate health
- Uses growing method that yield higher amounts of active ingredients
- Full 90-day money back guarantee
- Contains tilapia fish, gelatin, sunflower lecithin, and candelilla wax
- $0.87 per serving at time of post
- $0.66 per serving on amazon
- Drops available on Fullscript
- Costs more than some brands
- Contains fish so avoid if you have a fish allergy
Best Saw Palmetto Supplements: Best Gelcap
Doctor’s Best (gelcap) contains only gelatin, glycerol, and saw palmetto. Gel caps like these are a preferred form for many because they are easiest to swallow and they also are free of additives.
- Carbon dioxide extraction
- Free of solvent residues
- Supports the healthy function of the prostate gland and urinary tract
- Highly reputable brand with great product reviews
- Standardized to contain 85-95% fatty acids
- In a gelatin capsule so not vegetarian
Best Whole Saw Palmetto Berry Supplement
This Microingredients Organic Saw Palmetto Powder is among the best brands of saw palmetto supplements because of its many quality features.
- 119 servings per bag
- $0.19 per serving
- Grown sustainably in the US
- Contains USDA organic saw palmetto berry extract powder
- Free of additives, fillers, preservatives, and flavorings
- Helps with both men’s and women’s urinary health
- Tastes good if mixed in a shake or smoothie
- Users state that powder forms of saw palmetto like this are easiest on the stomach
Contains only 8%-12% oil content because it is whole berry form
2 Best Saw Palmetto Supplements for Value
These Solaray Saw Palmetto Capsules are among the best saw palmetto pills because of their cost and quality.
- Only $0.07 per capsule
- 360 saw palmetto servings per container
- 580 mg per serving of whole saw palmetto berry
- Wild harvested in Florida
- GMP certified brand that has great ratings
- Rich in plant sterols that help support, hair, skin, prostate, and urinary health
- Among the best saw palmetto brands
- 500 servings per container in the 250 gram package, but you can get the large bag with 1000 servings in it
- 500 mg of saw palmetto per serving
- Anti-inflammatory berry that helps reduce inflammation throughout the body, especially the prostate
- May help with hair thickness, strength, and growth
- cGMP product
- The only ingredient is pure saw palmetto berries
- Some people don’t enjoy the taste of saw palmetto berries so it would need to be mixed in a flavored beverage
Best Saw Palmetto Supplements: Herbal Blend
- Most ratings of any saw palmetto supplement on the market and very highly rated
- Contains nettle leaves 360 mg and pumpkin seed extract 160 mg
- Only $0.20 per capsule
- 500 mg of saw palmetto with 45% fatty acids
- Users notice less nighttime urination
- Pumpkin seed extract helps reduce an overactive bladder
- Nettle extract on the other hand helps reduce inflammation and irritation
- GMP registered supplement company
- Method of saw palmetto extract not disclosed
Best Saw Palmetto Supplements: Organic Powder
Nutricost organic saw palmetto powder is a very affordable saw palmetto supplement and it is organic as a big bonus.
- USDA Organic
- $0.09 per serving 227 servings (grams) per container at the time this post is written
- Over a 7 month supply in each bag
- Each serving is 1000 mg making it high strength
- Best saw palmetto supplement for skin according to reviews
- GMP certified supplement company
- Whole berry supplements like this one have less overall plant sterols but some claim the whole berry is more effective
Whole Berry and Saw Palmetto Extract Supplement
Not surprisingly, Zhou Nutrition Saw Palmetto Supplement is a highly rated supplement that has some great quality features.
- Contains both extract and whole berry powder
- 450 mg of whole berry and 50 mg of extract
- Reviewers state that this is the best saw palmetto supplement for hair loss
- Good manufacturing practices company
- Only $0.15 if you buy direct from the company (at the time post was written)
- Free of major allergens
- Extraction method not listed
Now Saw Palmetto is a prostate health product containing pure saw palmetto extract. However, the extraction method isn’t disclosed.
Havasu Nutrition Saw Palmetto also is mentioned because it has the most reviews of any supplement but the saw palmetto extraction method isn’t listed.
How the Best Saw Palmetto Supplements are Rated
There are a lot of quality considerations to think about when buying saw palmetto supplements.
Here are the specific criteria used for the best saw palmetto supplements in this post.
GMP certification or 3rd party certification means that the saw palmetto product is independently inspected by an unbiased company for quality and purity.
Strength of the saw palmetto is also taken into consideration because research shows that a higher dose of saw palmetto is more effective for certain health concerns such as benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH).
Standardized extract means that the supplement has a guaranteed amount of the active compounds in saw palmetto known as fatty acids and sterols.
Saw palmetto reviews are an important part of determining if a supplement is helping people feel better and if the product is as it is claimed to be on the label. For this post, products with a rating of greater than 4.5 stars and with at least 50 ratings are chosen over products with less ratings or lower ratings.
Other beneficial ingredients can be helpful in the case of saw palmetto because it is often researched alongside other natural ingredients. This includes plants like pumpkin seeds, plant extracts like astaxanthin or lycopene, or herbs like nettles.
Saw Palmetto Price– value is an important factor to consider for many people who are on a budget, so the best value products are also listed in this post to help people get the most for their money.
What is Saw Palmetto?
Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) is a small palm shrub that grows in the southeastern part of the United States.
Traditionally the small berries of the saw palmetto plant are used for hormonal balance and urinary health in both men and women. Because of its effects on hormones, it is also used as a sexual tonic and as a diuretic.
In modern times, research shows that this berry is indeed helpful for many aspects of urinary and hormonal health. Let’s take a look at the research.
Saw Palmetto Benefits
Overall, research is shows support for the benefits of saw palmetto related to the following health concerns:
- Urinary tract health
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy
- Elevated PSA
- Regulating hair growth
- Balancing testosterone
- Helping with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Improving quality of life
A recent panel of international urology experts concluded that saw palmetto is an effective treatment option for people with mild-to-moderate urinary or benign prostate symptoms.
Let’s take a closer look at all of these benefits.
Reduces Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms
When it comes to saw palmetto, prostate issues as well as urinary issues may be alleviated.
Symptoms of urinary tract issues that saw palmetto may help with include:
- Reducing painful urination
- Decreasing urinary frequency
- Minimizing nighttime peeing
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder
- Weak urine stream
In some cases, research shows that using saw palmetto is as effective or more effective than the prescription drug tamsulosin.
Many of these studies didn’t see a difference in PSA levels. However, this is because most of these studies used fairly low doses or didn’t use it in combination with other beneficial herbs.
Helps Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy and Elevated PSA
There is no question about the fact that saw palmetto is great because it helps support prostate health.
In a recent clinical trial, use of a higher dose saw palmetto at 500 mg per day enriched with beta sitosterol helped reduce BPH symptoms and reduce PSA levels over 12 weeks.
Therefore, the key difference in how saw palmetto helps PSA levels appears to be the use of higher doses.
When combined with lycopene and selenium, saw palmetto was as effective as the drug tadalafil for treatment of BPH. This same combination was more effective than tamsulosin for BPH symptoms.
Combining saw palmetto with nettle root also helps with BPH symptoms, including nighttime urination. This combination also reduces overall prostate symptoms compared to placebo
Most men who received saw palmetto during a research trial opted to continue taking it after the trial ended and was unblinded as well.
Helps Hair Growth in Men and Women
Using saw palmetto may also help both women and men with achieving more luscious hair. This is because this berry helps to block an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase which helps to reduce the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
By using saw palmetto both orally and topically, it helps to increase the hair density, improve hair stabilization, prevent hair loss, and increase total hair count.
Interestingly, research shows that using saw palmetto for hair loss is just as effective in women as it is for men.
While more studies are needed, saw palmetto is seen as a safe supplement to try for hair loss.
Reduces PCOS Symptoms in Women
Women who have polycystic ovarian syndrome may also benefit from using saw palmetto too. This is because having PCOS is also related to high 5-alpha reductase levels.
Saw palmetto may support women who have PCOS because it helps reduce 5-alpha reductase activity.
Because of this, saw palmetto berries help to increase hair growth on the head while decreasing body hair growth that is seen in PCOS.
While more research is still needed in this area, saw palmetto has anti-inflammatory effects that support a reduction in PCOS symptoms too.
Saw Palmetto Nutrition
Saw palmetto is rich in nutrients like healthy fats. These include caprilic acid, capric acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acid.
It is rich in sterols that not only help support healthy testosterone levels, they help reduce cholesterol levels too.
Because of these antioxidants, saw palmetto protects the body from free radical damage.
Helps Balance Hormones in Men and Women
Another perk of saw palmetto is that it may help increase testosterone levels in men.
One study found a significant testosterone boost in men after taking saw palmetto after taking a saw palmetto product at 320 mg for 3 months.
Women also benefit from the hormonal shifts that saw palmetto can help with too. For example, saw palmetto reduces prolactin receptors in ovaries in early studies. It also reduces male hormone uptake in tissues.
Certainly more research is needed, but it is a safe herb for both men and women to try if they are working on balancing hormones in their body.
May Improve Quality of Life
An important marker of health is called quality of life. If you have a high quality of life, you have better emotional and physical well-being.
One study determined that using saw palmetto at 320 mg per day resulted in a dramatic improvement in quality of life for men who have BPH.
Yet another study found that saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil significantly increased the quality of life in men with BPH.
It remains unknown if women with hormonal issues also have improvements in quality of life with the use of saw palmetto.
Combining Saw Palmetto with Other Beneficial Compounds
Many research trials show that adding other herbs and nutrients to saw palmetto supplements may also enhance the effectiveness of saw palmetto.
Nettles Root and Saw Palmetto
Astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto
This combination may even reduce the growth of prostate cancer cells, although more research is needed.
Pumpkin Seed Oil and Saw Palmetto
Combining pumpkin seed oil and saw palmetto helped to reduce PSA levels in men with BPH. However, using saw palmetto alone or pumpkin seed oil alone was more effective at controlling the urinary symptoms of BPH in this study.
Saw Palmetto Risks
Make sure to always check with your healthcare provider before starting saw palmetto supplements.
Using saw palmetto is generally regarded as safe and most research reports little to no side effects at all.
Occasionally, people get some mild dizziness, headache, or GI symptoms when using saw palmetto.
Pregnant women, breastfeeding women, or women on hormonal therapy should avoid taking this supplement because, like most supplements, they aren’t tested in this population.
How does saw palmetto work?
Most research shows that the benefits of saw palmetto are related to its ability to reduce 5-alpha reductase, which is an enzyme that breaks down testosterone.
How much saw palmetto should I take?
Some studies use doses of 320 mg of saw palmetto per day, but it seems like a 500 mg saw palmetto daily dose may be more effective than lower doses according to research. However, standardized saw palmetto like the Pure Encapsulations brand is more potent at lower doses than whole berry form. As always, check with your doctor about the right dose for you.
How long does it take for saw palmetto to work?
Some people notice that saw palmetto supplements work in a few days while others notice it can take over a month to start noticing saw palmetto benefits.
The Best Inositol Supplement Types + Its Many Proven Benefits
How to Find the Best Inositol Supplement When looking for the best inositol supplement, there are many things that are taken into consideration. First, you should try to find a company that has good manufacturing practices (GMP certification). Many supplement companies will list this on their websites, but you have to do some digging. That…
The Most Impressive Foods for Joint Pain
Foods for joint pain can be really helpful or really harmful. The food we put in our bodies has the tremendous ability to heal us or make us feel miserable. Keep in mind, that the food patterns to reduce joint pain only work if you do eat healthy foods on a consistent basis. Be aware…
The Heated Zonli Weighted Blanket Review. Spoiler: It’s Good!
It’s the time of year when snuggling into a great blanket makes all the difference, so I’m reviewing the Zonli weighted blanket that is also heated. While I did receive a free heated weighted blanket from Zonli, the opinions in this post are my own. Zonli Weighted Blanket Review First, this is the softest blanket…
Heidi Moretti, MS, RD is The Healthy RD. A registered dietitian for 23 years as well as a book author of the new book Gut Fix and The Whole Body Guide to Gut Health, Heidi has a passion for functional nutrition and natural medicine. She has researched supplements and natural medicine throughout her career. One of her biggest loves is helping people gain function and vitality by tackling the root causes of illness.